Tuesday, September 18, 2012

End of Summer 2012 Life in the Country




I love all the awesome aspects nature has to offer living in the country... My absolute favorite is the change of seasons, and it's almost that time again  :) 

My heart has never been happier than out here in the country!



I Love the Green.....GREEN GREEN GREEN... So many shades of green and vibrant colors!
I love walking to the compost bin and seeing the smart little barn lizard who hangs out on the barn wall behind our compost bin... He's not afraid of me... I think If anything he welcomes me! I add to the scraps to the pile, it disturbs the bugs and there he feasts! Just too cool!

The Feathered Girls Apple, Palm, Sugar Spice and Rose and her sister Peachy
Chickens are so entertaining! Sounds crazy , I know! But seriously watching them scratch and give themselves a dirt bath is funny, they look as if it feels like heaven!

or to see them chase one another and go rounds with a worm or large wild "treat" one object of desire and six hens ... Way better than TV! :)

Watching the monkey grass grow and flower, or the Privacy Trees standing tall and full! We planted them as little babies and they have shot up and flourished Its almost like Our home is growing with our family


The AWESOME Seasons, Weather, Storms and Beautiful Sunsets:

Sunset August

Crisp mornings have begun, fog rising off
Six Mile Mountain Sept 2012

The storm rolls in ....
To roll out the Rainbows :)





The very intersting range of life! The most interesting and beautiful species of Bugs, Birds,  Lizards and Snakes I have ever encountered:
Meet our: Resident Spined Micrathena
  
I walked under the Eucalyptus tree next to the Barn and ran into her web. after untangling myself from the creepy sticky mess, I found the owner hiding there in the tree... I was so fascinated by her, I put her in a empty mason jar for 30 minutes to photograph her, then I did my research, and re-placed her a little higher back up in her tree... Just as I had Hoped she REBUILT!  :) She stays happily out of the way a little higher in her Eucalyptus  and we'd love her to stay forever, well at least for a year! 
They have about a year life span...
They make their web 3-7ft off the ground in between trees to catch flying prey, where the web cannot be seen through branches.  As soon as the sun goes down she eats her web. When the sun rises he rebuilds it weaving silk that comes from the tip of her abdomen using her hind legs. The males are very plain and much smaller, they are rarely seen and very rarely are fast enough to mate with out being killed by the female.
Eggs are laid in September.
They only have one generation each year. Eggs overwinter in their sac and hatch the next year. Young Spined Micrathena spiders are fully grown by July and are ready to mate.


gracilis female:  male: 

gracilis - (eastern U.S.) central Wisconsin to southern New Hampshire and south all the way to Panama. Resources http://bugguide.net/node/view/1979



Being able to play safely in wide open spaces and Explore and Appreciate nature in our own backyard:

Mom and Boo Getting ready to run off some energy before nap time!

Bella Being silly on the trampoline

Dad and Em flying a kite outback




Emily checking out a Big Moth

Bella feeding and observing the Turtles





The breath taking views, the skies, and taking in the fresh country air!
 All very good reminders to:
 SLOW DOWN and APPRECIATE ALL THAT LIFE HAS TO OFFER!







No comments:

Post a Comment